Wednesday, February 5, 2014

When did I become 75 years old...

I recently posted on Facebook about MRI results from 2010. The results showed I had a herniated disc and degenerative disc disease. I decided to request those because for months I was waking up with serious back pain. Every morning I woke up unable to stand up straight. I would put on my gym clothes then go downstairs, lay on the floor and have Spencer stretch me out. I often thought, "This doesn't seem normal for a 28 year old." But I was going to the gym everyday and my Dad has back problems so I thought it was just something that came with the territory. In a way it was - genetics play a big role in my weak back and too much intense, pounding (so to speak) exercise has caused problems as well. The funny thing about this back issue is it's just another thing on my list of health problems. I don't talk about any of those things very much but it's honestly just become a joke to me now. Once one thing gets cleared up for the time being, another issue reappears.
I often joke with Spencer that he married a 75 year old women - at least I look pretty good for my age :) When Spencer first met me I was dealing with compartment syndrome in my lower legs and numbness in my feet with activity. I was running almost everyday, seeing a physical therapist and a different doctor at BYU trying to fix those issues. On top of that I had had digestive issues for years and could never get a diagnosis or get the problems under control. I didn't know what to eat because it seemed like everything hurt my stomach. I wasn't very social because I was afraid my stomach issues would flare up at any moment. I would get extremely bloated, to the point of looking pregnant, or I would be in extreme pain because something didn't digest correctly.
Since we've been married the only time I haven't been dealing with one of those three issues is when I was pregnant. It was honestly the magic healing to my digestive issues. I could eat whatever I wanted and I wasn't working out as intensely so my legs were getting a rest (I also gained lots of pregnancy weight but that's beside the point lol) It all seemed great even after Kensley was born. But over the last few months my digestive problems and back pain have come back. It has really just become a joke at our house, "When did I become 75?"
I've been comforted by the fact that others are dealing with some of the same things. My sister-in-law has Crohn's disease and we often chat about our stomach problems, share stories and helpful tips. An old roommate shared with me that she's dealing with multiple herniated discs. I feel so bad for everyone who has to deal with these things but it is comforting to know you're not alone. Luckily Spence loves me whether I'm 28 or 75 so we'll just keep dealing with health problems as they come :)

2 comments:

Heidi Ence said...

I didn't know you had all this specialness. =) You never really know what someone is going through, but you still seem so happy all the time and you look great. Maybe your problems coming back are telling you to have another kid, haha. ;) I hope things get better for you, and thank heavens for wonderful husbands. Love ya!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry for all your troubles. That stinks!

...I'm sending you a facebook message. My comment got way too long. haha.